EE Playmaker by England Football
About the course
EE Playmaker by England Football is our free online entry-level football course perfect for anyone interested in taking a more active role in grassroots football.
There are five modules in total and you don’t need any previous football experience or qualifications before signing up.
In fact, all you need is an FA Number (FAN) and a laptop, tablet or mobile device. Then you’re good to go.
Once you’re signed up, you’ll cover the following topics:
- make football 'For All'
- connect with your players
- create fun sessions
- keep football safe
- take your next step.
By the end, you'll be ready to hit the pitch with confidence and start helping out at your local grassroots football club, centre, or initiative.
How it's structured
The online modules of EE Playmaker cover five core areas, taking around four-and-a-half hours to complete overall.
But there’s no time limit on completing all five - you can do them at your own pace and around your schedule.
Here’s what’s involved:
Who's it for?This course is for anyone interested in taking a more active role in grassroots football.
You might be someone who wants to help out the coach at your child's club.
Or someone keen to get more involved at your school, college or uni football team.
It might be that you love your walking football and want to bring some new skills to improve everyone's experience.
Whatever volunteer role you're interested in, this course is a great introduction to our brilliant basics of making fun, safe and inclusive football happen for all.
You don’t need any previous football qualifications to take this course.
Course Pre-RequisitesAs our entry-level grassroots football course, it’s open to all - no matter experience, level or background.
You just need to be 14+ with access to a laptop, mobile or tablet device.
If you're 14 or 15 years old, you will need your parent or guardian to add your account to theirs. They can do that within their My Account section of their profile.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Confidently support fun, safe and inclusive football sessions
- Help respond to concussion and sudden cardiac arrest emergencies as well as embed your Emergency Action Plan into your team/club
- Encourage participation through effective use of motivation and communication techniques
- Use the STEP framework to plan fun activities that meet players’ needs.
- Understand how to use England DNA principles of positivity, ball-rolling and game-based practice to create engaging sessions.
- Move on to our Introduction to Coaching Football course - if you want to! There's no requirement to move onto our coaching pathway if it's not right for you and your role in the game.
- Safeguarding Children Course
- Introduction to First Aid in Football
- DBS Check (required if intending to lead sessions with under 18s)
Have a different question about EE Playmaker by England Football? Troubleshoot it with our Help Centre.visit help centre
Check out the latest session plans, interviews and articles to support you as a volunteer in the game:
How to build a positive matchday experience
Read our top tips on how to create a fun, engaging and positive matchday for everyone, from acting respectfully to involving everyone.
Check out our latest fun session idea that will help young players develop their movement skills with the ball.